Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Make This. Make This Today.

Last week I promised you a sandwich, so a sandwich I will give you.

And oh my oh my, what a sandwich it is.

It doesn't really have a name because I made it up (after stealing ideas from a bunch of different recipes), so I'll call it the Gotta Sandwich. Because you gotta make it and then you gotta eat it and then you gotta dream about it until you make it again. Or you could call it something like a Chicken Pesto Panini. But that would be boring.

Here's what it looks like:


(That's a caesar salad in the background, which I personally think made a very nice little sidekick for this sandwich)

Here's what you'll need to make it:

1. Chicken, cooked & cut up into bite-sized pieces
(I used those little boneless chicken tenders & cooked them in a skillet with a little olive oil)
2. Pesto sauce
(I used a dry creamy pesto mix from a packet)
3. Red onions & red bell pepper, sliced & sauteed until tender (I may have thrown in a clove or two of garlic, but I really don't remember. That sounds like something I would do.)
4. Fresh tomato
5. Fresh baby spinach
6. Meunster cheese
(I'm sure other kinds would work fine too, but meunster is soooooo gooooood)
7. Focaccia bread of your choice

And here's how to put it all together:

1. Cut the focaccia into whatever size and shape you'd like your sandwich to be, split it if necessary, and then spread a little mayo on each piece.

2. Toss the cut up chicken pieces into the pesto sauce and give it all a good stir so your chicken is nice & coated. Or drowning, as in my case.

3. Build your sandwich. From the bottom up, I put bread, pesto covered chicken, grilled onions & peppers, fresh tomato & spinach, cheese, and then the top piece of bread.

4. Grill your sandwich until all is melty and wonderful. Some people have fancy panini presses. I personally have a cast iron skillet and a good strong spatula for mashing. I melted a tablespoon or two of butter into my skillet, put in the sandwich, and smashed it down every so often for about 2 minutes. Then I threw in another bit of butter, flipped the sandwich over, scooted it around to distribute the butter, and then smashed it down some more for another few minutes.

5. Eat your sandwich. Receive compliments from your family about your sandwich.

6. Rest contentedly in the fact that, while there are times in life when we must explore the deep and meaningful struggles of the human condition, there are other times when we must explore sandwiches. Especially really really good sandwiches.

5 comments:

Kristy said...

My personal apologies to Sara for posting this so late. I would tell you what happened with Maya at the dentist today, which is partially responsible for the delay, but I think it might ruin your appetite for sandwiches. I'll save that story for another time.

The Parsons' blog said...

I'm laughing!!! I'm BaaacckkK!!! I forgot to ask you something and I thought, I could email but I might as well do the comment thing since the blog is open. :) So the pay it forward...I make signs, what kind of sign do you want?!?! :)

I can't wait to hear about Maya at the dentist. I'll say right now, hands down, the dentist is MY least favorite place ever. Just walking in the door I shudder from the smell. The first thing Stella said when I took her the first time was "mom what is that smell" I laughed...she takes after me. :)

The Parsons' blog said...

OH, and that sandwich looks heavenly...yum! I'm so making that.

The Parsons' blog said...

I'll just leave one more comment. I drooled over the sandwich, again. Hey, so I have a lens recommendation for you if you don't already have it. It's the 50mm f/1.8. It's very reasonably priced - $90 and it's fun. makes that nice blurred background and it's really fast because it has a wide aperture to let in the light so you don't need to use a flash. I may have told you so forgive me if i did. your picture of the sandwich reminded me of it. OK, I'll leave you alone now :) time to bring Stella to school.

The Parsons' blog said...

Made the sandwich tonight. Yum! It was delish!