Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Greener Pastures, Part 2

Today was grocery shopping day....

Here's a list of the victories and defeats:

Victories
  • All organic produce, with only 2 exceptions (see "defeats")
  • Organic cereal
  • Organic pasta & pasta sauce
  • Organic crackers
  • Turning organic apples & cherries into a stinkin' delicious apple-cherry crisp for dessert
  • Planning a week's worth of meals that don't use canned anything
  • My grocery bill was only about $10 more than usual. Yay!

Defeats
  • Tomatoes--not in season & hence ugly and expensive in the organic section
  • Potatoes--the only organic bag left had a nasty moldy one inside...yuck!
  • I looked at free range chicken & eggs, but alas, way too expensive.
  • Girl Scout cookies--having these in my cabinet represents defeat on so many levels

I'll admit that grocery shopping is still causing me some pretty significant mood swings. It's so satisfying to know you're making healthy changes, but on the other hand, I've grown extremely suspicious of every food product and packaging. Ignorance really is bliss.

I'm also working on conquering a nemesis of mine--the pinto bean. More on that later.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please don't see girl scout cookies as a defeat. Think of all the little girls you are helping out! There's nothing but victory there! Besides, it's only once a year. Embrace the Thin Mint, sister!

Jamie